Monday, January 5, 2015

Janie

With Janie, the one thing I can say that I admire about her is her maturity. Did she really need the hardships she received from both Logan and Joe in order for her to get to a mature point? I think so. I observed this maturity in certain points of the book. After Joe died, she complained about how much she hated Nanny, what a horrible woman she was! Making her marry a person that she doesn't love. As she grows older, she realizes that Nanny was only trying to do the best for her. She didn't want Janie to end up like her and Leaky. I feel like had Nanny not made Janie marry Logan, she would've run off with Johnny from the peach tree, and who knows how that would've gone.

All Janie really wanted was love. I can't say that this is a good thing, because this desire of her for that love rushed her into the obvious bad decision, running away with Joe. Although she does make a good decision for love and herself by going with Tea Cake, it does make for a tragedy in the end. But really, who can blame her? As human beings, we naturally have a desire to seek affection and love. Janie is just human. She made decisions with her heart and what she believed would be the best for her, although it didn't really work out.

I also feel bad for Janie. How unlucky could you be? To have a relationship that wasn't even a relationship (Logan), rather than her being forced to work, then to be stuck in a store 30 years with her hair put up (Joe), and finally when she does meet that person who is the ONE, he gets sick and she's forced to kill him. To go through just one of these horrible scenarios would scar a person for life, and Janie was forced through all three of these! I believe the universe works in a system of karma, but I don't think karma was an issue with Janie, but I do think she is certainly very unlucky to have to go through all of these hardships in her life.


No comments:

Post a Comment